My name’s Rachael DeVaux and I started my Rachael’s Good Eats account when I was a senior studying nutrition in college 3 years ago. It’s given me an outlet to share my creativity in the kitchen, while allowing me to show people that eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle can be FUN and so enjoyable! It’s not about all or nothing, it’s about making small changes that benefit you the most in the long run.
I thought I’d share a bit more about myself on here, maybe include some things you may or may not know about me. If you have more questions, feel free to comment below and I’ll do my best to answer! 🙂
18 Random Facts About Me
- Spacious white kitchens give me life and I can’t WAIT to have my own one day! I love a good presentation (can you tell on Instagram) so yes, I feel giddy just thinking about having dinner parties.
- I grew up being quite opposite of a morning person. I would sleep in until 11am-12 most days, which is SO crazy to think about because now I enjoy getting up around 5:30-6:30am (depending on the season) to make the most of my day. I think it changed when I made the transition into college.
- I graduated high school with an Associate’s Degree in Arts by doing running start at a local community college my junior and senior year of HS. I was able to build up 90 college credits by the time of HS graduation. I studied nutrition and dietetics at Oregon State University with a minor in sports injury care. I had to work my butt off for good grades and stayed in a lot of the times my friends were out partying.
- I used to be horrified of public speaking. I’m talkin’ back to elementary, middle & high school when my face would turn tomato red anytime I had to speak in front of a group. It was mortifying. And the more silence I heard, the more anxiety I got. Thankfully, I’ve gotten much better (still practicing!) and can handle larger groups—last year I hosted an event in NYC where I talked to 160 people for over an hour. I’d say I’ve improved x100.
- I’ve always been very athletic and played several sports growing up. Basketball, soccer, volleyball, ping pong (my dad was the champ in HS—he passed it downl), you name it! I can pick up anything pretty quickly. I honestly can’t understand how my parents did it with bringing me to every practice, game and tournament. Love you guys!!!
- I have a mini dachshund named Ellie and got her when she was just a puppy almost 13 years ago. She’s the sweetest dog I’ve ever met, snuggles with you any chance she gets, still acts like a puppy when she plays, and truly is my best friend! She was able to live with me during my senior year in college and she also lived with Bridger for half a year when he was in school and my townhouse at the time didn’t allow for pets.
- Bridger is my boyfriend of 7 years 🙂 We met in middle school and made it official later on in high school. I don’t know how I lucked out as much as I did with him, but I’m convinced we were meant for each other. Bridger and I recently moved into our first apartment in the city in September of 2017 and we LOVE it! Finally after so many years going to separate schools, living at our parents houses, etc., it’s nice to settle down in our own space.
- I’m such a homebody and always prefer staying in over going out. Living my best life is staying at home, eating my cashew chocolate chip cookie skillet, wearing a face mask and watching either Kardashians, RHOC or shark tank.
- I wasn’t always as health conscious as I am today. I grew up eating Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, toaster strudel, cinnamon pop tarts, top ramen/Mrs. grass soup, boxed dinners, Tyson chicken nuggets, cheez-its… you know, the classic 90s kid diet. My parents typically kept me away from fast food restaurants, but the focus was never on nutrition. That began to shift when I’d help my mom in the kitchen around middle school and I think I turned a new leaf when I made a huge plate of steamed broccoli for dinner in high school… with loads of ‘I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter’ spray (small steps, people).
- If you give me the option of cake and candy or chocolate and peanut butter—I’ll choose chocolate and peanut butter every. dang. time. Favorite dessert for sure! Other favorite foods include breakfast tacos, avocado toast, a good charcuterie board, and seared salmon with roasted sweet potatoes.
- I am one of the clumsiest people you’ll ever meet and have some sort of food stain on every single piece of clothing I own. It’s a curse.
- I keep my car at a cool 66 degrees all year around.
- I truly believe everything happens for a reason. You don’t have control of everything that happens to you, but what you do have control over is how you react in certain situations. I’ve been working to get a lot better at this.
- I am absolutely horrible at math. Not my forté at all.
- Ever since I was little I had it in my head that I wanted to work for myself. I knew I was capable of so much. In fact, I remember discussing with my mom at a young age that I wanted to be a masseuse, yoga instructor, nutritionist, and personal trainer… all at once. Dream big, right?? So far, I have 2 out of 4!
- Sharing more of my life on social media like fitness and travel has given me so much more inspiration than only posting food-related content. To be honest, before I started incorporating more I was feeling so unmotivated and uninspired by my own feed. I felt like I was leaving out such a huge part of my life and since then, I feel not only inspired by own feed but excited to share more of what I’m doing outside the kitchen.
- My love for animals stems from living on a farm for several years with my mom in Washington. We called it a “play farm” since we considered them all pets! Chickens, turkeys, pheasants, ducks, bunnies, dogs, horses. It was the best experience a kid could’ve had! Well, besides my sister. She stayed inside most of the time hahaha.
- I have one older sister (3 years apart) and we talk almost every single day. She lives in Las Vegas and spends most her time traveling all around the world. She even took me on a trip to Aruba for my college graduation present! *P.S. we’re planning something pretty huge this coming Spring 2018… stay tuned for the announcement 😉