You guys probably already know, but my name is Rachael DeVaux and I started my Rachael’s Good Eats account when I was a senior studying nutrition in college in February 2015. It’s given me an outlet to share my creativity in the kitchen, while also allowing me to show people that eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle can be SIMPLE and so enjoyable! It’s not about all or nothing, it’s about making small changes that benefit you most long-term.
I thought I’d share a bit more about myself on here, maybe include some things you may or may not know about me. If you have more questions, feel free to comment below and I’d love to answer! 🙂
22 Random Facts About Me
- I’m constantly counting down the days until I get the spacious white kitchen + pantry of my dreams.
- I grew up polar opposite of a morning person. I would sleep in until 11am-noon most days, which is SO crazy to think about because now I enjoy getting up around 5:30-6:30am (depending on the season) to make the most out of my day. I think it changed when I made the transition into college.
- I graduated high school with an Associate’s Degree in Arts by doing Running Start at a local community college during my junior and senior year of HS. I was able to build up 90 college credits by the time I graduated HS. I studied nutrition and dietetics at Oregon State University with a minor in sports injury care. I had to work my butt off for good grades and hardly partied during my time in college.
- I have a weird pet peeve with loud sounds. I like things (TV, music) quiet… idk
- I used to be terrified of public speaking. I’m talkin’ back to elementary, middle & high school when my face would turn tomato red anytime I had to speak in front of a group. It was mortifying. Anxiety through the roof. Thankfully, I’ve gotten much better (still practicing) and can handle larger groups—the most being 160 for an event I hosted in NYC. I’ve improved x100, but always wanting to get better.
- I grew up being very athletic and played several sports. Basketball, soccer, snowboarding, volleyball, ping pong (my dad was the champ in HS), you name it. I can pick up anything pretty quickly.
- I have a mini dachshund named Ellie and got her when she was just a puppy about 13 years ago. She’s the sweetest dog I’ve ever met, will snuggle with you 24/7, still acts like a puppy when she plays, and truly is my best friend. She lived with me during my senior year in college and she also lived with Bridger for half a year when he was in school and my townhouse at the time didn’t allow for pets.
- Bridger is my boyfriend of 7+ years 🙂 We met in middle school and made it official later on in high school. I don’t know how I lucked out as much as I did with him, but we’re the best of friends. Bridger and I recently moved into our first apartment in the city in September of 2017 and we LOVE it! Finally after so many years going to separate schools, living at our parents houses, etc., it’s nice to settle down in our own space.
- I’m such a homebody and always prefer staying in over going out. Living my best life is eating my cashew chocolate chip cookie skillet, wearing a face mask and watching either Shark Tank, the Kardashians, RHOC or a movie.
- I wasn’t always as health conscious as I am today. I grew up eating Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, toaster strudel, cinnamon pop tarts, top ramen/Mrs. grass soup, boxed dinners, Tyson chicken nuggets, cheez-its… you know, the classic 90s kid diet. My parents typically kept me away from fast food restaurants, but the focus was never on nutrition. That began to shift when I’d help my mom in the kitchen around middle school and I think I turned a new leaf when I made a huge plate of steamed broccoli for dinner in high school… with loads of ‘I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter’ spray (small steps, people).
- Next bucket list travel destination is Greece (my favorite vacation to date was Australia).
- I always end with even numbers– during my workouts, my sets are typically 12 or 14 reps, I wake up on even numbers, my favorite numbers include 18, 32 and 52.
- Cake and candy or chocolate and peanut butter? Chocolate and peanut butter every time. Some of my other favorite foods include breakfast tacos, avocado toast, a good charcuterie board, and seared salmon with roasted sweet potatoes and greens.
- I was the only girl on an all boys basketball team in grade school…from what I can remember I’ve always been a tomboy. I dislike any type of florals or bright colors on my workout clothes, I haven’t been super into makeup/skincare until recently (it takes me about 20 minutes max to get ready), and I love my comfy casual style.
- I have food stains on 95% of my clothes, being clumsy is a daily struggle and my proprioception of my limbs worries me sometimes lol.
- I keep my car at a cool 66-68 degrees F temp all year around. I’d rather be cold than hot.
- I truly believe everything happens for a reason. You don’t have control of everything that happens to you, but what you do have control over is how you react in every situation. I’ve been working to get much better at this.
- I suck at math, but very good at science.
- Ever since I was little I knew I wanted to work for myself. It was my goal at one point to be a massage therapist, yoga instructor, nutritionist, and personal trainer… So far, 2 out of 4.
- My love for animals stems from living on a farm for several years with my mom in Washington. We called it a “play farm” since we considered them all pets. Chickens, turkeys, pheasants, ducks (I had two- one named Druke and the other, Jackie Chan), bunnies, dogs, horses. It was the best experience a kid could’ve had! Besides my sister. She stayed inside most of the time 😉
- I have one older sister (3 years apart), Maddie and we talk almost every single day. Mostly because we’re very close, and also because we own a café together called Toast Society in Las Vegas. We opened May 30th 2018 and have been overwhelmingly busy! Before the café opened, Maddie spent most her time traveling all over the world. She even took me on a trip to Aruba for my college graduation present <3
- I will only eat a banana if it’s slightly green with no spots. More prebiotic fiber this way and I just can’t stand the texture of a soft banana haha.