I grew up a complete tomboy, so seeing how my entire medicine/bathroom cabinet has transformed and is now stocked with various skincare products/items is still so surprising to me. I love testing out new products, but also have an arsenal of brands that I’ve been using for several years now that have shown success with my skin. I’ve even got Bridger on his own nightly routine (we’ve reached a milestone) and I never thought I’d see the day where he loved oiling his face before bed as much as I do.
TBH, I don’t even think I started washing my face until I was late in middle school, not to mention having any thought of purchasing *non-toxic* skincare. Was that even a thing back then? Either way, I’ve learned so much about how GOOD, MINIMAL-INGREDIENT, & CLEAN BEAUTY can be so beneficial for your body. Did you know up to 80% of what you put on your skin is absorbed straight to your bloodstream? Have you ever thought about the lotions, oils, fragrances, etc. you’re using on a daily basis? Just like food, makeup & skincare has a MAJOR impact, especially when it comes to your endocrine system, which is so important when it comes to producing hormones, regulating metabolism, growth & development, tissue function, sleep, reproduction, mood, and more.
Before I share more, I just wanted to remind you that even the cleanest of skincare products won’t replace a lack of a healthy diet! The foods you eat and the drinks you consume play a huge role in the overall health of your skin. For instance, water is obviously very hydrating to your skin, making it appear less dull and more glowy. The same goes for healthy fats from avocado and extra virgin olive oil and vitamin C from foods like red bell pepper, kiwi, & oranges. On the contrary, sugar and alcohol are extremely dehydrating to the skin, hinder collagen production and most definitely take a toll on your body in general.
Now to share my current SPRING skincare routine/products I’m obsessed with–
– Indie Lee Purifying Face Wash: smells so fresh & fruity– this is one that both Bridger and I use most nights.
– Franklin & Whitman Cleansing Serum: super gentle and leaves my face feeling ultra hydrated after using. I love that it includes calendula (healing to the skin), jojoba oils, and vitamin E. Use ‘GOODEATS’ at checkout for 35% off entire website April 27-29
– Naturopathica Aloe Cleansing Gel: Extremely gentle, I love this one
– Cocokind Oil to Milk Cleanser: for those times you want something gentle (and within Cocokind brand), but want the feeling of ‘washing your face’ without stripping it of moisture
– Franklin & Whitman: honestly, I love all their masks, but the Oak Lane (made with raw cacao and smells like chocolate) and Spruce Hill (made with matcha green tea and packed with antioxidants for your skin) are my top two! If you’re having trouble deciding for either yourself or a gift for someone you know, I suggest the Face Mask Combo Pack— 5 cute mini’s to find your fav 🙂 Use ‘GOODEATS’ at checkout for 35% off on their website this weekend, April 27-29. One of the reasons why I love this company is because they donate 5% of all sales to dog rescue organizations. This weekend, 5% of all sales will be going to the Seattle Humane Society
– Honest Hazel Collagen Eye Gels: PERFECT for travel or anytime you need an extra boost under your eyes. I wear a pair under my eyes every single flight to rehydrate in the air & tend to keep them on 2+ hours. I love them! Ingredients include cactus collagen, arbutin, vitamin c, vitamin e, vitamin b3, hyaluronic acid, glycerine and aloe vera
– Naturopathica Sweet Cherry Brightening Enzyme Peel: more of a hydrating mask/peel. It leaves your skin smooth & radiant
– Cocokind Chlorophyll mask: Super brightening + reduces inflammation and increases circulation. Use more water for a gentle-drying mask, and less water (more of a paste) for a thicker, more powerful mask
– IndieLee CoQ10 Toner: Just like the cleanser, this smells so yummy! I spray 3-5 times on a cotton round and wipe down my face after I cleanse & before my oils
– Franklin & Whitman Facial Toner: alcohol-free and all-natural. I love using as an instant hydrater/lift/pick-me-up and especially after I cleanse my face
– Cocokind Rosewater & Raspberry Toner: the rosewater is great for a spritz any time of day and the raspberry I use for a more intense post-cleanse toner to help balance the pH of my skin to regulate oil production
If you haven’t made the jump to using oils vs lotions as your moisturizer, you may want to think again– the truth about applying oils to your face is that it helps to trick your skin into thinking that it’s already made enough oil, and doesn’t need to produce more. I literally lather up with oil in the morning and the night before I go to bed and it’s amazing, I’ll never go back. I tend to alternate between a handful of these favorite products:
– Biossance Squalane Vitamin C Rose Oil: smells and feels so smooth, I’ve been using it almost everyday the past month
– Cocokind Golden Elixir: ooooo I love this one. It’s very thick and rich in omega-3s for your skin
– Franklin and Whitman Walnut Hill Face Serum: (*also my mom’s favorite facial oil, she goes through them like crazy) super lightweight and hydrating, this is good for any skin type– very gentle. Use ‘GOODEATS’ for 35% off entire website this weekend, April 27-29
– Vintner’s Daughter Active Botanical Steam: very expensive, but feels revolutionary on your skin. It’s a blend of 22 active organic botanicals mixed with powerful essential oils. Smells so nice and I feel v luxurious everytime I use
– Cocokind Matcha Stick: this stick is amazing. I use it for my lips, under my eyes for a boost of hydration / to help with dark circles, I use it on my hands if they’re dry. Basically, I have one in every jacket and purse I own
– Cocokind Chia Facial Oil: the OG in my arsenal. This was the very first “clean beauty” product I started using a few years back and I was immediately hooked!!
– Tata Harper Restorative Eye Cream: expensive, but I sort of swear by it. I use it around my eyes; crows feet, eyelids, and my T-zone (forehead wrinkles) every night
– True Botanicals Cellular Repair serum: both anti-aging and great for repair from sun damage. I could honestly do better about keeping my face out of the sun, so this serum I feel is very helpful for that reason!
– Isle of Paradise Tanning Drops: all-natural and I absolutely 100% needed these for my Seattle winter this year.. aka no sun for 6 months. All you do is mix a few drops with your facial oils/moisturizers in your hands and thoroughly rub into your skin and neck. Make sure to wash your hands well afterwards or you’ll wake up with orange streaks around your palms. I personally use the dark colored drops: add 3 drops to my oils at night and in the morning for 2-3 days or until I notice a difference. Then I’ll hold off for several days, and repeat again. I was such a fan of the product I even started using their tanning foam for my body every other week or so, or whenever I take photos/have a shoot. Make sure to apply with a tanning mitt (you can find on amazon). The drops are currently sold out on Sephora online, but they should have in-store!
– Lab Beauty CBD Quick Fix: I’ve used this a few times for whenever I have a stubborn zit coming through or even a burn (kitchen problems) and it works overnight!!
– Cocokind Body Butter: heaven in a jar, seriously. You need this in your life if you don’t have it! Buttery, hydrating and lasts what seems like all day long. Great for during the winter when your skin is extra dry
– Franklin & Whitman East Falls Body Serum: this spray nozzle is life-changing and the smell is INCREDIBLE! It absorbs into my skin immediately and keeps my body moisturized/hydrated. I love using when I get out of the shower
– Cocokind Calming Powder: I love using as dry shampoo. Especially because I try to only wash my hair once every 5-6 days
– Franklin & Whitman Cuticle Serum: I live for this! I do a lot with my hands everyday and they seem to always be so dry. This serum has saved my cuticles these past wintery months/extra traveling. Use ‘GOODEATS’ for 35% off the entire website April 27-29
– Rose Quartz Roller & Gua Sha: I love chilling my roller in the fridge or freezer beforehand. I suggest using after you cleanse & tone your face. Use a few drops of face serum to apply all over face, then gently glide the tools across the skin (tutorial here!), which will help absorb the facial serum absorb better, increasing its benefits 🙂 Try this roller, gua sha, and face serum kit.
– Mask Bowl + Brush: Let’s make things easier & less messy by using a dedicated face mask bowl + brush. Takes me back to elementary school painting class and I couldn’t be happier / more relaxed. Try the 3 in 1 porcelain bowl kit or the handmade recycled bowl kit.
Ever since he hear me speak with Follain’s (clean beauty marketplace) founder, Tara Sanders at the University Village location earlier this year, he’s finally come around to having his own routine. He, too thought that oils would be too overpowering and oily on his skin and never felt the need to wash/cleanse his face. Now he’s hooked on these below 😉