This exact dinner, or some variation of it (i.e. breakfast burritos) is a heavy constant in our rotation and I think you’d love it if you haven’t made yet! 🙂 It’s great if you want something that’s not as heavy with the tortilla, plus you can substitute more greens + extra veggies for a lighter option. I make it about 2x a week just because it’s so quick and we never get tired of it. But you *have* to add the homemade mango pico, I swear it makes the whole dish!
If you make it, make sure to give this recipe a rating and let me know what you think– I appreciate it! xx
Quick & Healthy Taco Bowls with Chunky Mango Pico
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning (I prefer Primal Palate, What's Gaby Cooking or Siete Foods taco seasoning)
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 handfuls mixed greens
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp cumin + pink salt
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup refried chipotle beans (I use Better Beans brand)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Siete Foods grain-free chips
Chunky Mango Pico
- 1 large semi-ripe mango, peeled and diced (you want it to have a slight crunch to it)
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled and diced (inner flesh/seeds removed)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped jalapeño, seeds removed (completely optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Heat 1 tbsp oil on medium heat in skillet until hot but not smoking. Add organic ground turkey (or meat of choice) and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until browned. Add taco seasoning and water, turn heat to low, and cover to cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed. Turn heat off and set aside.
While the turkey is cooking, in a separate skillet add the oil and thinly sliced peppers + onions. Sauté for several minutes on medium heat, add cumin + pink salt, then cover and let cook until charred, about 10 minutes. Make sure to toss every few minutes.
Time to build your bowls! Add mixed greens, seasoned turkey, veggies, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, mango pico, heated beans and tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Chunky Mango Pico
Once everything is chopped, toss in a medium bowl add more lime + salt based off your preference. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving, and store in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Blair H says
I made the chunky mango pico to go with fish tacos last night! I was SO impressed with how clean, bright and colorful, plus DELICIOUS this was! It was the perfect addition to my meal and brought so much color to my plate on a dreary day.
I made this vegan with Beyond Meat and whole Pinto beans. It was absolutely delicious. I love Taco Bowls and have made similar dishes often for lunch. But the Mango Pico is the star of this dish!!
It is seriously so good!!
Another amazing dish! Such great flavor. The whole family love it (RARE)! Will be a staple in our household.
Love, love, love this mango pico! It goes well on so many dishes. I’ve even put it on top of turkey chili.