I’ll admit it… I just can’t resist the chocolate/nut butter combo to satisfy my sweet tooth cravings. So, I’ll take any opportunity to remake some of my favorite sweet treats using better-for-you ingredients. Enter this life hack I never knew I needed: using dates to make a 5-ingredient snickers bar. I have my sister to thank for this one – she let me in on the trend, and it’s SO good, you guys. I promise you it tastes so similar to the real thing.
If you need convincing to try out healthier dessert recipes, let this 5-ingredient snickers bar recipe be the one! It quickly became a staple dessert I love to keep in the freezer, much like my 5-ingredient Copycat Reeses and Healthy Paleo Twix Bars. It brings back all the mems turning classic, childhood treats into ones you can feel better about indulging in 🙂
SIMPLE & SWEET
Even though this recipe consists of only 5 ingredients, it definitely is not lacking in taste. When I’m busy and wanting to make a dessert without spending too much time on it, this ooey gooey combo of chocolate and peanut butter stuffed dates is it, let me tell you!
It’s super easy, takes no time, and is a great alternative for any refined sugar, packaged candy in your pantry. I love to keep a stash in our fridge (or freezer) for the perfect sweet & salty bite any time of day. It’s also a great activity to do with kids 🙂 To help show them that a few ingredients make the best candy bar.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- organic pitted dates
- organic peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- organic dry-roasted or raw peanuts (or nut of your choice)
- dairy-free dark chocolate (I love Evolved chocolate)
- maldon salt
HOW TO MAKE 5-INGREDIENT DATE SNICKERS
What’s great about this recipe is it’s easy to scale to make however many date snickers your heart desires! To start – if not already pitted, pit your dates and slice down the middle, but not all the way through so you can open them up (your dates are really just the vessel for all the smooth & crunchy nut buttery toppings you’re about to add in).
Grab a small baking sheet (or plate), and make sure it will fit in your freezer (might be the most important step, lol). Next, add parchment paper to the baking sheet or plate. Open each date slightly to form a pocket, and space them out evenly on the parchment paper. Add enough nut butter to fill each date about 75% of the way, top with a few nuts, then pinch closed. Place in the freezer to form for about 15-20 minutes. While the dates are in the freezer, melt your chocolate and let it cool slightly before moving on. Remove the dates from the freezer, then dip each one in the melted chocolate until they are completely coated. For less mess, you can use two spoons to help dip, or instead you can simply drizzle the chocolate over each date.
Last but not least, sprinkle flakey salt over top, then add to the freezer for 20-30 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened. Enjoy right away (kinda hard not to!), or store in an airtight container.
RECIPE SUBSTITUTIONS & QUESTIONS
I love to use peanut butter and either dry-roasted or raw peanuts for the filling, but any nuts & nut butter of your choice will work. Pro tip: the dry-roasted peanuts from Thrive Market are the best peanuts I’ve ever had in my life. I also use a dairy-free dark chocolate (I’m lactose intolerant and love using Evolved chocolate), but feel free to use whichever chocolate you prefer.
ARE DATES GOOD FOR YOU TO EAT?
Dates offer a handful of benefits! For starters, they are a healthier alternative to refined sugar and therefore used as a natural sweetener ingredient in many recipes. Dates are also high in fiber and provide various antioxidants which have a number of health benefits.
ARE DATES WITH PEANUT BUTTER A GOOD PRE-WORKOUT SNACK?
The best part about this quick & easy recipe is that it doubles as a sweet treat and, yes!, can be eaten as a great pre-workout snack. Since dates are a fruit (that come from the date palm tree), aka a natural sugar source, they can provide a quick boost of energy. Peanut butter provides a good source of protein and healthy fats which can help you feel fuller for longer while providing sustained energy during your workout. Ideal combo!
Click here for the Reel I made of this recipe 🙂
5-Ingredient Date Snickers
- organic pitted dates
- organic peanut butter, (or nut butter of your choice)
- organic dry-roasted or raw peanuts, (or nut of your choice)
- dairy-free dark chocolate, (I love Evolved chocolate)
- maldon salt
- Pit dates if not already pitted, and slice down the middle (but not all the way through) so you can open them up.
- Add parchment paper to a plate or small baking sheet (be sure it will fit in your freezer). Open each date slightly to form a pocket, and space them evenly on the parchment paper
- Add enough nut butter to fill each date about 75% of the way, top with a few nuts, then pinch closed. Place in the freezer to form for 15-20 minutes.
- While the dates freeze, melt your chocolate. Let the chocolate cool slightly before moving on.
- Remove dates from the freezer, then dip each one in the melted chocolate until completely coated. You can use two spoons to help dip for less mess, or choose to drizzle the chocolate instead of dip.
- Sprinkle with flakey salt, then add to freezer for 20-30 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container 🙂