My first choice of breakfast when I’m not at home is a burrito. Getting a breakfast burrito from a healthy cafe is my absolute favorite way to start a day, and I can guarantee that if I’m traveling for work, or on vacation with Bridge, a breakfast burrito is on the menu. And hey, who says we can’t bring just a little bit of vacation into our every day life? I decided to whip up a breakfast burrito from home, which I rarely do, and now I can’t not make it for either breakfast or lunch. I’m so hooked on this high-protein, super quick meal and I just know it’s going to transport you to a healthy cafe without ever having to leave your kitchen. Enjoy!
A QUICK & EASY HIGH-PROTEIN BREAKFAST
We all know that scrambled eggs are one of the quickest and easiest ways to get protein into your breakfast. So why not elevate our daily scrambled eggs into the breakfast burrito of our dreams, especially because it takes just a few extra steps. The best part about this recipe is that it is highly customizable – add all your favorite toppings and wrap it up in a perfectly crispy tortilla.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Avocado Oil Or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mini Breakfast Sausages
- Small Potato
- Bell Pepper
- Red Onion
- Burrito-Size Tortilla
- Goat Mozzarella
- Green Onion
- Hot Sauce
- Greek Yogurt Or Sour Cream
HOW TO MAKE HIGH-PROTEIN BREAKFAST BURRITOS
Thinly slice the red onion, bell pepper, and potato. Heat avocado oil in a medium pan over medium heat, and once hot, add the sliced veggies. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until just soft. Add the breakfast sausages to the same pan, and turn the heat to medium-low.
In a separate small pan over medium heat, add the ghee. While the pan is heating, whisk the eggs until slightly frothy. Once the pan is hot, add the eggs and cook to your preference. Remove from the heat and set aside. (For fluffy scrambled eggs, cook until almost done and take off the heat. The eggs will continue to cook in the pan, and they’ll stay fluffy without getting over-cooked.)
Add the veggies to the pan with the eggs to stay warm, or set aside on a plate. Wipe down the large pan, and heat the tortilla through until it’s pliable. Don’t skip this step, otherwise your tortilla is highly likely to rip or tear while rolling.
Once the tortilla is warmed through and pliable, layer in the eggs, sausages, sautéed veggies, avocado, cheese and other preferred toppings. I love jalapeño, salsa, hot sauce, dairy-free sour cream, green onion, and cilantro.
Once your toppings are in, roll into a tight burrito. The key is the fold one side over, then pull back tightly around the fillings. Then, fold both sides under and continue rolling the burrito so there are no openings.
Once your burrito is tightly rolled, turn the heat to medium-hot and add a small amount of oil. Add the burrito flap side down until it crisps and stays in place. Repeat on all sides, then enjoy!
RECIPE SUBSTITUTIONS & QUESTIONS
I prefer using Siete tortillas, but you can use your preferred tortilla here. You can easily swap in your favorite cheese, and all other toppings. The breakfast sausages are so yummy in here, you can also cut up a large sausage in place of the mini breakfast ones.
ARE BREAKFAST BURRITOS HEALTHY?
One of my favorite questions! As with any food or meal, ‘healthy’ isn’t black and white. Not all breakfast burritos are healthy – as many restaurant and food stand burritos are loaded with saturated fats (too much butter, cheese, bacon, oils, sour cream, etc) and not well-balanced nutritionally. As a dietitian, creating and sharing well-balanced, healthy, and delicious meals is what I love to do. This high-protein breakfast burrito is a really well rounded breakfast, and a healthy choice for a meal at any time of the day 🙂
Eggs are one of the most nutrient dense foods, and high in protein and healthy fat. I like to think of egg yolks as nature’s multivitamin, so you’ll never see me skipping the yolk. The sausages give this burrito a boost of protein, and the veggies, tortilla, and toppings are a mix of high-quality carbohydrates and fiber to help slow digestion and avoid a spike in blood sugar. You can enjoy this breakfast burrito, knowing that you don’t have to compromise flavor or satisfaction for health! Home cooking is magic.
WHAT GOES INSIDE A BREAKFAST BURRITO?
Well, the options are endless. In this recipe, I packed in a mix of crispy potatoes, sautéed peppers and onions, savory breakfast sausages, and my all-time favorite cheese. My toppings of choice are jalapeño, salsa, and/or hot sauce for some spice, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and a sprinkle of green onions.
Other popular fillings and toppings include bacon, beans, hash-browns, cabbage, zucchini, etc – the list goes on! All the flavors you love can make their way into your morning burrito.
HOW TO GET A PERFECTLY CRISPY BREAKFAST BURRITO?
It may take some practice, but I promise it’s not hard. They key is to make sure your tortilla is warmed all the way through before you assemble your burrito. That will ensure there aren’t any rips or tears, which makes crisping alot easier. From there, you’ll want to make sure your burrito is tightly rolled. Pull half the tortilla over the fillings, and then pull it back towards the middle as if you’re tucking the fillings in. Then fold both sides over to seal it, and continue rolling the burrito until its compact. You’ll want your pan to be just slightly hotter than medium heat, not yet smoking. Add a small amount of oil, and crisp the flap-edge side of the burrito to seal it closed. Let is crisp, about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat on all sides, adding more oil to the pan if it’s not getting crispy.
From the fluffy eggs, the melty cheese, to the crispy potatoes and fragrant onions and peppers, this breakfast burrito is a meal that you’ll want again and again. Get the super simple recipe below!
Click here for the Reel I made of this recipe 🙂
High-Protein Breakfast Burrito
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 small potato, thinly sliced
- 2-3 mini breakfast sausages, (I used Teton Waters Ranch)
- 1 tsp ghee, (for cooking)
- 2-3 organic pasture-raised eggs
- 1 burrito-sized tortilla, (I prefer Siete)
- 1/4 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup goat mozzarella, grated, (I prefer Natural Valley)
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- jalepeno, (optional for topping)
- salsa or hot sauce, (optional for topping)
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Once hot, add onions, bell pepper and potato and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until just soft.
- Add the breakfast sausages to the same pan, and set heat to medium-low.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add the ghee. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs. Once the pan is hot, add the eggs and cook to preference. Remove and set aside.
- Wash the same large pan, heat the tortilla until pliable (this is key to prevent from ripping/tearing!), about 1-2 minutes per side in the slightest amount of oil.
- Once pliable, layer in the eggs, sausages, sautéed veggies, avocado, cheese and preferred toppings. To roll like a burrito, fold one side over and then pull back until tightly wrapped around insides. Then, fold both ends under and continue rolling the burrito so there are no openings.
- Once burrito is tightly rolled, heat the same pan to medium-hot and add a small amount of oil. Add the burrito flap side down to the pan until it crisps and repeat on all sides. Enjoy!