Roasted Tomato Basil Soup & Grilled Cheese
- 4 lbs vine-on or roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups (1 carton) vegetable stock/broth (or use half bone broth for added nutrients)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 slices sourdough or your favorite bread (I use gluten-free)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use goat cheese)
- 1/2 tbsp ghee or grass-fed butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Slice tomatoes in quarters & add to baking sheet (skin down) with 3-5 peeled garlic cloves. drizzle with extra virgin olive oil & good amount of sea salt. Bake for 45 min.
Meanwhile, sauté diced onion in a large pot with 2 tbsp avocado oil on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Then add dried oregano, stir & cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Pour in balsamic, stir & cook 2 minutes. Pour in vegetable stock/broth & coconut milk. Cover with lid and turn down heat to simmer for remaining time tomatoes are in the oven.
Once tomatoes are roasted, use tongs to transfer to high powered blender, then pour broth mixture over the top (*can also use immersion blender and keep in large pot). Blend on high with fresh basil, ground pepper & 2 tsp sea salt, about 4-5 min.
Serve with freshly chopped basil, red chili flakes, ground pepper & grilled cheese on the side! I use sourdough or gluten-free bread with goat cheese. Enjoy! 🙂
In a separate skillet, turn heat on medium. Spread ghee over one side of one slice of bread and put ghee side down in the skillet. Add shredded cheese on top. Spread ghee over one side of second slice and place ghee side up over the shredded cheese. Press down, then cover the pan with a lid to let cook for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, then cover and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Slice in half and serve with soup!